Mold spores, which are the primary cause of mold allergies, are present in the air throughout the year. They are especially prevalent in damp indoor areas such as the basements, washrooms, bathrooms, and garages. These spores are invisible to the naked eye and so small such that they can easily bypass the natural protective mechanisms of our nose and upper respiratory tract.
The spores attach themselves to the lining of our nose, which then causes the various allergy symptoms. Mold spores are usually not a problem indoors, unless there is active mold growth on wet or damp spots resulting in elevated levels of airborne spores.
Mold allergy symptoms
Mold spores can trigger asthma and allergic reactions in sensitive individuals, especially children, the elderly, and those with other medical complications. Since mold spores are ubiquitous, mold allergies can sometimes be more prevalent than pollen allergies.
Exposure to mold is incredibly common, though many people mistake it for pollen or other allergies. Mold allergy can affect people of all ages. Apart from inhaling spores, mold allergy can also be triggered by eating foods that contain mold and yeast. Mold allergy can also result in rashes and hives.
Mold allergy can be chronic or temporary, and it can range from minor irritation to severe health risk. Mold allergy may cause symptoms all year round but it is typically most severe during warm, wet weather and from mid to late summer.
Mold allergy can have incredibly long lasting symptoms. Mold allergies cannot be cured, but symptoms can be controlled with medications.
Sources of mold spores
Mold spores can be found in carpets, around the foundation of the house and outdoors among trees and plant life. They are released as part of the mold reproductive cycle. Mold spores are ubiquitous in both indoor and outdoor environments.
Testing for mold allergy
One of the most common ways of testing for an allergy to mold spores is through a skin prick test. With this test, a small amount of mold spore is put on the patient’s skin and is then given access to the area just under the skin via a skin prick.
Mold & Bacteria Consulting Laboratories test the air for mold spores. The test involves enumeration and identification of airborne spores and the results reported as spore per cubic meter of air. While there are no permissible levels of mold spores established, significantly high count of mold spores suggests the occupants could be at risk of mold exposure.
Prevention of mold allergy
Everyone should do what they can to minimize their exposure to mold spores in their homes. If you have a mold problem you need to consider mold removal or mold remediation to make sure that the mold is completely removed from the home and no longer poses health risks.
It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. Moisture problems, if any, should be corrected in order to control mold growth.
If you are experiencing mold allergy symptoms, it is important to take action to protect your health. If you have any questions about mold allergy or how to test the air in your home or office for mold spores, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 905-290-9101 or check out our Rental DIY Air Quality Mold Test Kit. Our team of experts is here to help you breathe easier and live healthier.
Remember, early detection and treatment of mold allergy can help prevent serious health complications down the line. Don’t wait until it’s too late to take action. Reach out to us today to learn more about how we can help you stay healthy and allergy-free.