Easy-way to Test for Toxic Mold in Your Home
Perhaps you are reading this because you have concerns about mold. Some people are more sensitive to molds than others. For these people, exposure to molds can lead to symptoms such as stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes, or skin. People with allergies to molds or with asthma, may have more intense reactions.
Mold can have different colors and textures depending on the type of mold. It can appear black, green, blue, gray, white, or brown or shades of many colors. While most people are concerned about “Black Mold”, it is not the only harmful type of mold found in homes. The color of the mold does not determine whether it is harmful or not. If you see visible mold in your home or office, don’t panic! Mold & Bacteria Consulting Laboratories can help you determine whether the mold is toxic (i.e., toxigenic) or just unsightly to look at. All you need is to take a sample of the visible mold using clear scotch tape and mail it to the lab. No special equipment is required.
Samples can be sent by post or by courier.
For $54.99 (Canadian dollar) per sample, you will know if the mold in your house is likely to cause health problems to you or your family.
Within 2-3 business days (after we receive the samples), we’ll send you an easy-to-understand laboratory report:
- identifying the mold from your sample,
- explaining any known health problems associated with the mold,
- and providing you with information on how to remove it safely.
How to Collect a Mold Sample for Laboratory Test
To collect samples of visible or suspect mold growth, no special kit is required. All you need is clear scotch tape (i.e., the type you can see through).
Follow the following simple steps
- Wear some gloves if necessary.
- Cut approximately 2-3 inches of clear scotch tape.
- Hold tape at one end and place sticky side down onto the surface with visible or suspect mold growth and press gently.
- Remove tape and stick it onto a ziplock bag (Do Not fold the tape).
- Label/number each tape and identify the sites sampled. For example:
- Tape #1: Basement, east wall.
- Tape #2: Windowsill, master bedroom.
- Tape #3: Ceiling tile, kitchen.
- Tape #4: Baseboard in closet
- Tape #5: ————–.
- Enclose samples in an envelope or bag.
- Finally, download and print our easy-to-use order form. If you can’t print the Order form, you can just submit the samples together with the following information:
- Fax (if available)
- Email address
- The date the sample was collected
- Payment information (credit card information including expiry date, etc.). Note that each sample submitted is $54.99 (Canadian dollar). If you would rather not put credit card information on the order form, you can pay on phone by calling 1-866-813-0648 (toll free).
Mail Your Samples To:Mold & Bacteria Consulting Laboratories (MBL) Inc.
1020 Brevik Place, Unit 1A
Mississauga, ON L4W 4N7
(Attn: Dr. Jackson Kung’u, PhD)
Don’t delay. Left alone, mold continues to grow. Send us your samples today!
(NOTE: More than one mold type may be present. If several sites show visible mold growth, it is advisable to take more than one sample.)
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the lab directly at 905-290-9101.