Do you have a mold problem in your home?
If you’ve seen mold in your home, don’t panic! Send samples for mold testing today.
A number of molds can sometimes be found growing in houses on drywall, wood, behind wallpaper, and on ceiling tiles in areas that are constantly moist or have suffered water damage or leaks. Some of these molds such as Stachybotrys, Aspergillus and Penicillium are associated with adverse health effects. Others like Alternaria and Cladosporium are well known allergens that trigger allergic reactions to sensitized individuals.
Not all molds that occur indoors are hazardous. However, current Canadian mold guidelines advise building occupants to clean-up and/or remove visible mold growth. To control mold growth, moisture should be eliminated or reduced.
For $50 per sample you can submit mold samples to Mold & Bacteria Consulting Laboratories to determine whether the mold present is hazardous or is only of cosmetic concern. Cleaning hazardous mold requires special protection. To collect a sample of visible mold, no special mold testing kit is required! Use clear scotch tape.
How to take Tape Samples for Mold Testing
- Cut off approximately 2-3 inches long of clear scotch tape.
- Hold tape at one end and place sticky side down onto the surface with visible mold growth and press gently.
- Remove tape and stick it onto a ziplock bag (Do not fold the tape).
- Number each tape and identify the sites sampled. For example:
- Tape 1: Basement, east wall.
- Tape 2: Window sill, master bedroom.
- Tape 3: Ceiling tile, kitchen.
- Enclose samples in an envelope or bag
(NOTE: More than one mold type may be present. If several sites show visible mold growth, it is advisable to take more than one sample.)
Other Suitable Samples for Mold Testing
Pieces of wallpaper, drywall, wood, carpet and insulation material can also be sent for mold testing.
Sending the Samples
Submit the samples together with the following information:
- Fax (if available)
- Email address
- The date the sample was collected
How to pay for the test
You may pay by credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or by calling 905-290-9101 ext. 211 or by PayPal by completing the form below.
After paying for the samples you can deliver them or send them by Canada Post to:
Mold & Bacteria Consulting Laboratories (MBL) Inc.
1020 Brevik Place, Unit 1A
Mississauga, ON L4W 4N7
What You Get:
- Lab analysis of Mold samples collected by you using Clear Scotch Tape (see “tip” below)
- Lab report showing the types of mold present in your samples
- Results interpretation
- 15-minute free consultation (if requested) with one of our microbiologists
- Turnaround Time: 2-3 working days
Tip: If you see mold growth in more than one place (say kitchen, washroom, bedroom and basement), we recommend taking a minimum of 3 samples. This is because the mold in the washroom is highly likely to be different from that in the basement or kitchen or ceiling.
Additional Tape Lift or Bulk Samples…..$50/sample. THREE samples would therefore cost $150 tax included.